Tuesday 23 November 2010

Great Barrier Reef

Hi All



Yesterday we did decided that we would follow convention and take a trip out onto the Great Barrier Reef. despite this being the most popular trip for visitors it is mot cheap especially with the weak pound almost doubling the cost of everything since we were last here. In fact we have spent more in two weeks here than we did in nearly two months in SE Asia! Oh well mustn't moan when most people are stuck in a bleak & cold England  with only X factor and I'm a celebrity! So glad I'm away despite the hemorrhaging cash situation. So back to yesterday we set out on a large catamaran with a few other intrepid travellers who were mainly Aussies and Japanese. Dean had booked a dive & I stuck to the snorkeling (can't do anything underwater following a swimming pool incident in my youth!).
 I was first in and within 20 Min's had managed to kill the battery on the camera!

The second snorkel on the Oyster reef after lunch was unbelievable as in trying to escape from the splashing antics of the other snorklers I managed to meet up with a large Green Turtle, which seems quite happy to let me to snap away. That was until a large shape loomed up underneath me and another even large turtle literally swam up underneath me. Trust me I was very close to filling my very stretchy stinger suit! However recovered enough to brag about the whole incident on the way back as no one else had seen them, let alone photographed them. The rest of the afternoon was spent on another reef Upolu, which had some beautiful fish and I managed to see some Squid & some brilliant Blue Starfish.

Giant Sea Clam

So this will be the last of the travel posts for a while  as our next 6 week will be spent following the Engalnd cricket tems in the their exploits and hopefully with us managing to retain the Ashes.

Here's hoping.....

Thanks for looking

Hugs

Sara xx





0 comments: